This was my first time ever making donuts and they were AMAZING! These donuts are both gluten-free and dairy free. They have great texture, taste and they maintained their shape and fluffiness after cooling. They have the consistency of a good old fashioned cake donuts. You can easily and quickly whip these yummy donuts up any day of the week!
UPDATE 10/14: I switched up the wet ingredients and started using coconut milk in the batter and glaze, instead of my buttermilk alternative of almond milk and vinegar. I think the coconut milk works much better and still provides great taste and texture.
Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts
- 2 ½ cups gluten-free flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- milk for thinning couple tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a donut mold tin.
- In a large bowl, stir together the first five dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and add in all the wet ingredients. Mix together till just combined.
- Fill donut molds with the batter till the top. Bake for 11-13 minutes, or until donuts spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Insert a knife around the edges of donuts to ease from molds. Let donuts cool completely before dipping the tops into the lemon glaze.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, poppy seeds, and salt. Add in the lemon juice, oil, and a couple tablespoons of milk. Whisk to combine. If glaze is too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add more powdered.