I know someone who LOVES cold cereal and I thought these were the ultimate breakfast food combo! When I came across the recipe on my feed from Tasty, I knew I wanted to try and make them gluten-free and dairy-free. The receipt was easy to swap around. They the perfect sweet treat in the morning to give you a little sugar rush!
Gluten-Free Fruity Cereal Donuts
- 1 cup fruity pebbles cereal
- ¾ cup dairy-free milk
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 ½ cups gluten-free flour
- 1 cup fruity pebbles cereal finely crushed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup dairy-free milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fruity pebbles cereal
- Preheat the oven to 425˚F. Grease the donut pans with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cereal and milk for the glaze. Set aside to soak while you make the donuts, about 20 minutes. Strain into a clean bowl, pressing on the cereal to extract as much milk as possible.
- Make the donuts: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, crushed cereal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag or zip-top bag with a corner cut off. Pipe the batter into the prepared donut pans. Leave about ¼ inch from the rim, so they don’t overflow.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until the donuts are just beginning to turn golden brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling for about 20 minutes.
- Make the glaze: In a medium bowl, combine the powdered sugar and ¼ cup of the cereal milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Add the cereal for topping to a shallow dish.
- Once cooled, dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze, then into the cereal. Set on a wire rack set over a baking pan to dry for at least 20 minutes, until the glaze is no longer shiny.