It’s beginning to feel a lot like fall here in the Northwest, which made it an easy decision to make these gluten-free baked apple donuts!
I was able to use gravenstein apples from my mom’s apple tree. The texture is like a cake donut and they have amazing taste, especially with the cinnamon sugar coating!
Gluten-Free Baked Apple Donuts
- Donut pan
- 4 cups gluten-free flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp dairy-free butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ cups apples peeled, cored and grated
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 4 tbsp dairy-free butter melted, plus more as needed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a separate, larger bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, granulated sugar, buttermilk, nutmeg, and applesauce. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the grated apples and transfer batter to a large ziplock bag. squeeze out all air and snip one corner creating a small hole.
- Squeeze batter into the donut hole pan and transfer to the oven to bake for 12-14 minutes. (Mine were ready at 12 minutes)
- As the donuts are baking combine the sugar with the ground cinnamon and melt the butter in a small dish.
- When donuts have finished baking, remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before brushing with the melted butter and coating in the cinnamon sugar.