Getting back to creating some protein based treats! These gluten-free and dairy-free Carrot Cake Protein Cupcakes turn out surprisingly well. Sometimes desserts with protein powders can get grainy, these were not! These cupcakes come out perfectly moist, soft and with just the right amount of spice. I would event devour these cupcakes without any frosting, they’re that yummy!
With no frosting, my cupcakes are 103 calories each and 5g of protein. After adding frosting, the cupcakes come to about 160 calories each. Hopefully you can whip up a batch for yourself soon!
Carrot Cake Protein Cupcakes
- ¼ cup vanilla protein powder I used Orgain protein
- ¾ cup stevia baking blend or granulated sugar
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 1 ½ cups grated carrots I had a package of shredded carrots that I put in the blender and chopped it finer
- 6 large eggs whites
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz Daiya cream cheese softened
- ½ – 2 cups powdered sugar I started with 1/2 cup and added more to get a thicker frosting
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (through cloves) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add grated carrots and remaining wet ingredients, mixing until combined.
- Line a muffin pan with paper, silicone, or foil cupcake liners, lightly coating the insides of the liners with cooking spray.
- Divide batter between muffin wells, three-quarters of the way to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean.
- While your cupcakes cool, beat together frosting ingredients until smooth.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag (or a Ziploc bag with one corner cut off) to decorate your cupcakes. If you’re feeling fancy, top with chopped pecans and grated carrots.
- Enjoy right away or store in the fridge up to one week.