The holiday season is synonymous with cozy gatherings, festive decor, and the sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies wafting through the air. And when you’re navigating a gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle, there’s no need to miss out on the joy of baking and indulging in delightful treats. These Gluten-Free Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies are the perfect addition to your holiday baking repertoire. They’re tender, buttery, and adorned with colorful sprinkles, making them a cheerful and gluten-free twist on the classic sugar cookie. Let’s roll up our sleeves and get ready to bake these festive goodies that capture the essence of the holiday season!
A Festive Gluten-Free Twist
The foundation of these Gluten-Free Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies is a reliable gluten-free flour blend, such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. This blend ensures that you can enjoy your holiday cookies without any worries about gluten. A hint of baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt enhances the texture and flavor, making each bite perfectly balanced. What makes these cookies truly stand out during the holiday season is the vibrant burst of sprinkles. Jimmy sprinkles are an excellent choice, bringing a rainbow of colors to your cookies. The result is not only a scrumptious treat but a visual delight that captures the magic of Christmas.
The Secret to Dairy-Free Deliciousness
Embracing a dairy-free lifestyle doesn’t mean sacrificing the rich, buttery flavor of sugar cookies. This recipe incorporates dairy-free butter and cream cheese to achieve that luscious taste and texture. Tofutti brand cream cheese is a reliable choice, ensuring your cookies maintain the perfect balance of creaminess and flavor. With a touch of almond extract in addition to vanilla, these cookies boast a hint of nutty warmth, perfectly complementing the sweet sugar and festive sprinkles. Whether you’re serving these cookies at a holiday gathering or leaving them out for Santa, everyone will be amazed at their delectable taste, and you can savor every bite without compromising on your dietary preferences.
Christmas Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- 3 cups gluten-free flour I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 8 oz dairy-free butter softened
- ¼ cup dairy-free cream cheese softened (see notes)
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 ½ cups sprinkles Jimmy sprinkles work great!
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer add the cream cheese, butter and sugar and mix until combined and fluffy. Around 3 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla and almond extracts and mix again.
- Add the flour mixture and beat on low just until flour disappears. Make sure to not over mix.
- Cover mixing bowl and refrigerate for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop dough into little balls, around 1 ½ tablespoons. Roll the dough between the palms of your hands and transfer to the bowl of sprinkle. Gently roll the dough around to coat.
- Transfer dough balls to your prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Use a flat bottomed glass or bowl to gently press down on the cookies until they are about ¼ – ½ inch tall.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on baking sheets for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container or a sealed Ziploc bag.