These gluten-free nutmeg cookies are on of my favorite childhood Christmas cookies! This is a recipe from my Grandma’s kitchen and she makes them every year during the holidays. I took her original recipe and was easily able to make it gluten-free with Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour.
The cookie itself is similar to a shortbread cookie with nutmeg flavoring. It’s topped with a yummy dairy-free buttercream frosting and festive sprinkles!
Pull out your stand mixer (or hand mixer) and get started on making this perfect little cookies! They’re a cute little cookie to add to your holiday cookie trays.
Here’s everything you’ll need to get started on these cookies:
- Gluten-free flour
- Dairy-free butter
- Vanilla and rum extracts
- An egg
- Powdered sugar
- Dairy-free milk
Gluten-Free Nutmeg Cookies
- 3 cups gluten-free flour sifted
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup dairy-free butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp rum extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tbsp dairy-free butter room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 tbsp dairy-free milk I used coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift flour and nutmeg together and set aside.
- Cream the butter with the vanilla and rum extract. Gradually add sugar. Blend in the egg and add the dry ingredients. Mix throughly.
- On a floured surface, shape small pieces of the dough into long rolls. About ½ inch in diameter.
- Cut rolls into 3 inch 'logs' and place on your baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 12- 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cream together butter, vanilla and rum extract.
- Alternate between adding the powdered sugar and milk.
- Beat until frosting is a spreadable consistency, about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Pipe onto cooled cookies or spread on with a knife.
- Optional: top with festive sprinkles!