I love a good Snowball Cookie during the holidays! You may also know these cookies as Russian Tea Cakes or Mexican Wedding Cookies. These gluten-free and dairy-free Snowball Cookies are filled with walnuts, vanilla flavoring and are a melt-in-your-mouth shortbread consistency.
Everyone should enjoy a classic nutty shortbread Christmas cookie! These were always one of my favorites when I was younger and now I can still enjoy them with easy gluten-free and dairy-free swaps.
Here’s a list of everything you’ll need in your kitchen to get started:
- Gluten-free flour
- Powdered sugar
- Dairy-free butter
- Walnuts or crushed candy canes
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
Gluten-Free Snowball Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup dairy-free butter melted
- ¾ cup ground walnuts or crushed candy canes
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix together flour, ½ cup powdered sugar, butter, ground walnuts (or crushed candy canes) and salt.
- Stir in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Batter will be crumbly and may seem a little dry, but it should stick together when pinched. If too dry, add a couple splashes of water.
- Using about 1 ½ tablespoons of dough, roll into balls and press down lightly on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes or until set, not brown.
- Let cool completely before rolling in remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar.
- Store at room temperature.