Upgrading my lemon bars for these tangy gluten-free lime bars! Why have I not thought of making a lime bar until now?! Duh! Summer dessert at its finest! They’re filled with freshly squeezed lime juice and lime zest.
I used a gel food coloring, so they turned out way more lime green than anticipated 😂 oh well! The food coloring is completely optional in this recipe.
Gluten-free lime bars are sure to be your next go-to summer dessert!
Gluten-Free Lime Bars
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free flour
- ⅔ cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dairy-free butter
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp lime zest
- ⅔ cup fresh lime juice about 3 limes
- drop of green & yellow food coloring optional
- Line a 13×9 inch baking dish with some parchment paper over hanging on the long edge of the dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- Cut the cold butter into cubes. Put the cubes of butter into the flour mixture. Smoosh the flour and butter together between your thumbs and fingers until the butter is coated with flour and broken into the flat butter pieces, between the sizes of smooshed almonds and peas.
- Pour the crust into your prepared baking dish, press it down firmly it into an even layer with your fingers, and place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The crust is ready when it looks dry and is slightly golden at the edges.
- While the crust bakes whisk together the sugar and flour in a bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add the zest, lime juice, and a drop of green (+ yellow) food coloring, if desired. Mix until everything is smooth and combined.
- When the crust has finished baking, remove it from the oven and pour the filling over the warm crust. Return to the oven. Bake for 12 minutes in a glass pan or 10 minutes in a metal pan. The filling is ready when it doesn’t jiggle and has lots of little bubbles on top. All ovens are different, so start checking 2 minutes before you think it’s ready. Don’t over-bake it, or the filling will be spongy.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1 hour, uncovered, either on the counter or in the refrigerator. Use the parchment sling to lift the bars onto a cutting board. Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.