As the holiday season fills the air with warmth and nostalgia, there’s something magical about revisiting cherished recipes. These Gluten-Free Nutmeg Cookies are no exception. Rooted in my Grandma’s holiday baking traditions, this delightful treat is a beloved childhood Christmas cookie that has stood the test of time. With a heartwarming blend of nostalgia and innovation, we’ve transformed this classic into a gluten-free wonder. The secret lies in Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour, which seamlessly brings the joy of these nutmeg-infused cookies to those with dietary preferences. Join me in making these sweet morsels that exude the spirit of the holiday season.
A Family Heirloom Reinvented
The story of these Gluten-Free Nutmeg Cookies begins with a treasured recipe passed down by my Grandma. I embarked on a journey to adapt her original creation for the gluten-free audience. The heart of these cookies is a velvety shortbread-like texture generously infused with the warm and comforting essence of nutmeg. This classic spice, combined with the subtle notes of vanilla and rum extract, offers a captivating flavor profile. Whether you have fond memories of these cookies from your own family or you’re creating new traditions, they’re a holiday essential that brings generations together.
Festive Frosting and Cheer
No holiday cookie is complete without a generous dollop of frosting, and our Gluten-Free Nutmeg Cookies are no exception. A dairy-free buttercream frosting with a delightful hint of vanilla and rum extract elevates these cookies to the next level. It’s a celebration of flavors and textures, a sweet accompaniment that beautifully complements the nutmeg-infused goodness of the cookies. Once adorned with this creamy crown, let your creativity shine as you sprinkle on festive sprinkles, making each cookie a work of edible art. These cookies are a treat for the taste buds and a visual delight that’s sure to brighten your holiday celebrations.
Additional Recipes You Might Like
Gluten-Free Nutmeg Cookies
- 3 cups gluten-free flour sifted
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup dairy-free butter room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp rum extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 3 tbsp dairy-free butter room temperature
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp rum extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 – 3 tbsp dairy-free milk I used coconut milk
- Preheat your oven to 350° F degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside to be ready for the cookies.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the gluten-free flour and aromatic nutmeg. Set this mixture aside to be used later.
- In another bowl, cream the dairy-free butter with the rich vanilla and enticing rum extract. Gradually add the sugar to this creamy blend. Afterward, add the egg and mix everything thoroughly to achieve a silky, harmonious mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, take small portions of the dough and shape them into slender rolls, approximately half an inch in diameter.
- Carefully cut these rolls into 1 ½-inch 'logs.' Arrange these delightful morsels on the prepared baking sheet, ensuring they are about 2 inches apart to allow for spreading while baking.
- Place your cookies in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. Keep a close eye on them; they're done when the edges just start to turn golden. Once baked to perfection, transfer the cookies to a cooling rack, allowing them to cool and set.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the dairy-free butter, luscious vanilla, and enchanting rum extract.
- In an alternating fashion, add the powdered sugar and dairy-free milk, and continue to blend until the frosting reaches a delectable, spreadable consistency. This usually takes around 3-5 minutes.
- Using a piping bag or a knife, add a generous dollop of frosting to each cooled cookie. It's the perfect canvas to bring your creative flair to life, so feel free to decorate with festive sprinkles and make each cookie a delightful work of art.